Welcome to the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC, located in Winchester, Va.
The mission of the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC is to creatively use science and contemporary technology to solve horticultural crop production problems, develop and disseminate knowledge, train new researchers and industry leaders, and improve the quality of life of Virginia's citizens. Please visit our current research information on tree fruit and grapes.
- Virginia Tech to host Beef & Forage Field Day at Kentland Farm on July 27
- Michael L. Jahncke honored with emeritus status
- Robert McDuffie honored with emeritus status
- Conrad Heatwole honored with emeritus status
- Virginia Tech Beef Cattle Center earns 2017 AICA Outstanding Seedstock Producer Award
- BP oil spill did $17.2 billion in damage to natural resources, scientists find in first-ever financial evaluation of spill’s impact
- Virginia Tech researchers: As rain and temperatures increase, so will costs to mitigate pollution
- Virginia Tech Board of Visitors approves proposed School of Plant and Environmental Sciences
- Virginia Tech researchers find special bacteria in Claytor Lake that can freeze water
- Virginia Cooperative Extension provides training in facilitation skills