Welcome to the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC, located in Winchester, Va.
The mission of the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC is to creatively use science and contemporary technology to solve horticultural crop production problems, develop and disseminate knowledge, train new researchers and industry leaders, and improve the quality of life of Virginia's citizens. Please visit our current research information on tree fruit and grapes.
- Virginia Tech researcher leads team that examines molecular-level problems of heart disease
- Virginia Tech professor speaks on Capitol Hill about impact and value of funding science
- Virginia Tech’s Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics to co-host Governor’s Conference on Agricultural Trade on March 6-7
- It’s a bird! A plane! It’s John Jelesko — Super Poison Ivy Man!
- Virginia Tech researchers use texting to boost international development
- Virginia Tech alumnus has the National Mall covered
- Virginia Tech Fulbright scholar headed to Denmark to teach and research sodium reduction
- Virginia Tech partners with commonwealth, Israeli food company
- Virginia Tech microbe research featured in Scientific American
- Michael Schwarz named director of Virginia Seafood Agriculture Research and Extension Center